Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 12 (p 317-340)

By Travis, O.R. Conspirator Extraordinaire

(a) "We can easily become so driven by our vision for church growth, community, or social justice that we forget the little things, like caring for those around us. An older charismatic woman told me, 'If the devil can't steal your soul, he'll just keep you busy doing meaningless church work.'"

This quote hit me like a ton of bricks. As did a few others that I'll share in a few minutes. This chapter was very hard for me to swallow. I think mostly because I am now employed by the church and it is a constant battle to try to figure out what thing is "more good" to do than the other. It reminds me of the new NOOMA DVD by Rob Bell called "Shells". You can drown in a sea of goodness. Sometimes we have to say no to a lot of good things in order to say yes to the ONE thing that God has called us too. The rub, however, is finding that ONE thing.

Or at least it is for me. I'm the music director at my church and I constantly see other areas where I could serve but I have to say no because I'm paid (and feel led for now) to lead my church in worship. But sometimes (and I've had to learn to sense this) I have to stop and help others in very special moments. Whenever they are in pain or lonely. And it gets hard sometimes. Especially when other people (other staff, my volunteers, etc.) are depending on me.

Is the devil keeping me busy with good things? What do I need to say "no" to so that I can say "yes" to the one or two things God has laid on my heart to do?

(b) "The early prophets would say that a church that spends millions of dollars on buildings while her children are starving is guilty of murder."

(c) "Giving to the poor should not make its way into the budget; it is the budget."

Whewww. Another hard one to swallow. Being on staff sometimes confuses things. Last week we were talking about hiring a new person to clean the church. An important thing to consider. However, after doing a little math, I wasn't as happy as everyone else around the table about the bid because we were getting ready to pay the janitor more than me. And more than the property manager (who was in charge of researching the bids and organizing the potential janitors!!!).

Money is a difficult thing to handle within the church. It is a blessing but it is also a burden to realize that my salary is paid for by church members. Some of them struggling to get by. Additionally, it is true that "giving to the poor" does get tossed in right beside the music ministry budget, the youth budget, the utilities budget and everything else. Or the congregation is asked to give to the church and then give additionally to the poor. Times are getting harder. We're entering a resession. Which is more important?

Am I really giving to the poor? Am I putting the needs of others before my own? Does a big building, big screen, drums, stained glass, pews, chairs, sound system, lights, make a church? Is there any hope to change the modern church? Is the modern church wrong? Or just misguided?

Side note: I thought it was really interesting to read about Shane's work and dealings with Willow Creek. That is were I first experienced worship, where I've learned about leadership, and bought into the idea that the local church is the hope of the world. I had a problem with the idea of them building a new building as well but couldn't put my finger on it. I guess I thought the first building was big enough. But, I had never thought about it from the perspective that many lives could have been blessed with those dollars. But who knows how many have been changed since the new building and growth that has happened at Willow since?

blog comments powered by Disqus