Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 11b (p 305-314)

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 11b (p 305-314)
Making Revolution Irresistible

(a) "The transformation begins with the people--with ordinary radicals, courageous mothers and grandmothers like Rizpah.... Nations will not lead us to peace; it is people who will lead the nations to peace as they begin to humanize the nations" (p 307).

If peace and justice are to begin with me (my intentions, attitudes and actions), what's my mustard seed?

(b) "Protesters are everywhere, but I think the world is desperately in need of prophets, those little voices that can point us toward another future" (p 309).

What is a prophet? The esteemed wikipedia explains that in Judaism a prophet is someone God chooses to speak for Him for the purpose of bringing social change, a spokesperson with the goal of transforming society into God's highest ideal. And what did the prophets speak?

Isaiah: "Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17

Jeremiah: "'He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?' declares the LORD." Jeremiah 22:16

Ezekiel: "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy." Ezekiel 16:49

Amos: "I hate, I despise your religious feasts; I cannot stand your assemblies." "But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!" Amos 5:21,24

Micah: "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

Solomon?: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute." Proverbs 31:8

Here are God's spokesmen declaring in no vague terms His priorities. Are they my priorities? As I raise my "little voice," am I singing in harmony with the prophetic voices of the past? What picture of the future does my song paint?

Last week a Christian leader explained to me that military spending is not a waste of money because we are able to sell the weaponry to other countries for a profit. How/why have we veered so far from the voice of the prophets (Isaiah 2:4; Micah 4:3)?

(c) The story on page 310 of the Camdenhouse crew wading into the demonstrations wearing clothes with the fruits of the Spirit is so great. What a brilliant example of using imagination. We do in fact need more love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Which of these do I need to pray most passionately for today? What will it look like lived out in my relationships today?

(d) "I take great courage from the fact that many of us are taking steps toward a gentler revolution. We need more prophets who laugh and dance" (p 313).

How do you react to this? Are you a laughing prophet? Do you know a dancing one? Am I a speaker of only gloom and doom, or is there a positive twist of love, joy and peace with some laughter and dance thrown in?

blog comments powered by Disqus