Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 1 (p 35-51)

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 1 (p 35-51)
When Christianity Was Still Safe

Chapter 1 is an autobiographical look at growing up Christian deep in the Bible Belt that addresses “spiritual bulimia,” the good life, and Jesus in his distressing disguise.

(1) “I came to realize that preachers were telling me to lay my life at the foot of the cross and weren’t giving me anything to pick up” (p 38). I can relate to this. I grew up knowing not to do x, y, and z. The few things to “do” for Jesus were giving Bible studies, passing out flyers for prophecy seminars, and attending Bible Camp. Looking back, I see other people did more (e.g., mission trips to Mexico), but my view was pretty limited.

I’m barely catching on that there is a whole spectrum of actions that are of God, actions that make a more just, loving and sustainable world. There are limitless ways to make it a better place, to bring goodness to people’s lives. Those are the “good works” of Ephesians 2:8-10. Any stories of your adventures?

(2) “In the poor we meet Jesus in his most distressing disguises” (Mother Teresa, p 51). Michael Card wrote a great song on this theme—Distressing Disguise.
In His distressing disguise
He hopes that we'll realize
That when we take care of the poorest of them
We've really done it to Him


On Friday we were thrift store hopping, looking for a bed frame. As we left one shop, a lady was slowly walking away carrying a backpack and several bags. I knew I should offer her a ride, but my first reaction was to think of all the reasons why we should keep on driving. We talked about it quickly, drove past her, talked more, turned around, and offered a ride. She declined, and I saw how quick I am to “pass by on the other side.” Realizing she is Jesus in disguise, a first reaction of love instead of excuses would seemingly be the impulse.

Where have you seen Jesus lately? What happened?

blog comments powered by Disqus