Thursday, November 13, 2008

Righteous Indignation, Ch. 3 (p 23-30)

Righteous Indignation, Ch. 3 (p 23-30)
Divine Limitation and Human Responsibility - Rabbi Or N. Rose

(1) The story of the Lost Boys of Sudan was a harrowing and effective way to begin this chapter (film). Wow. The questions at the end of the story set up the rest of the chapter, and these are questions that we face too. "Could I, as a religious activist, develop a spiritual narrative that accounts for such instances of injustice? More importantly, could I help others--particularly those suffering from oppression and degradation--frame their experiences in meaningful theological terms?" (p 24).

In some ways this reminds me of Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Incredible book. What is your answer for evil, for injustice? Is it strong enough to help someone in the middle of their devastation? Does it need to? And is there meaning in all pain?

(2) Rabbi Levi Yitzhak of Berditchev must have been one interesting gentleman. I appreciated the summarizing thought on page 27: "While God's heroic actions at the Sea of Reeds may have been necessary to impress the Israelites and to astound any would-be foes, at Sinai God wished to provide God's people with the spiritual and ethical tools--Torah--to function as an increasingly independent community, no longer reliant on God's supernatural intervention in human affairs."

I see here a father teaching the child to crawl, stand, walk and feed itself. But I'm not ready to move all the way to Deism, where in my understanding, the child is ultimately left alone and the father has no further role to play in the life of the offspring. I still believe in the power of prayer to effect change in the world, even if that change is primarily in me.

What about you? How active do you believe God is in altering events on planet Earth? Why do you hold this belief? Have you ever had or seen a significant answer to prayer? What is the role of faith in even attempting an answer to this question? What is your understanding of the interaction of divine and human in activism, justice and peace-making?

(3) "Among the deepest expressions of God's love and respect for humankind is the gift of free will" (p 28). The rest of that paragraph unwraps this idea beautifully. I can't imagine a response to the question of suffering without some reference to free will. Apparently, free will is more important to God than anything else, even His own heart.

How well am I using my free will? What is the best choice I've made today or this week? What is a good decision I made even though I felt like choosing a different option (e.g., a way to spend time, money, energy, etc.)? In what ways do I take free will for granted or deny its existence (two very different problems)? Do I value the free will of those around me, or do I feel a deep need to control their actions and opinions?


(4) "The question about Auschwitz is not where was God, but where was man" (p 28). Batman style Pow! Zing! Whack! to the gut.

(5) "The Divine may inspire, agitate, and comfort..., but human beings must act to create a just and compassionate world, minimizing the pain and suffering of all God's creations" (p 29).

Brilliant. I like that he included "all creation," not just humans.

I wrestled with this theme of God using humans in one sermon I gave in Korea (I only gave 3 real sermons in 3 years there)--I Don't Know Why. " “God, why don’t you do something to stop this?” “Jeff, why don’t you?” The wrestling match has not yet concluded.

God, I want to create a just and compassionate world. I want to relieve suffering. I want to give hope. I want people to have the liberty to exercise their free will. Teach me how. Take away my excuses and doubts and fears. Or help me to work despite them. Remind me of the power of little things, and open my eyes to bigger actions I can take. Let me be your hands and feet this day. Open my ears to hear your "still, small voice urging me forth in my efforts to help mend the world" (p 30).

blog comments powered by Disqus