Friday, August 29, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 7a (p 191-204)

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 7a (p 191-204)
Pledging Allegiance when Kingdoms Collide

(a) "They had lost all faith in the empire and had become faithful to God alone as the one who could preserve peace and prosperity" (p 196).

What do I believe, really believe, brings peace and prosperity? Democracy? Communism? Free markets? State-controlled economies? Democrats? Republicans? Theocracy? Anarchism? Cooperation? Competition? Military? Diplomacy? More education? More laws? More dichotomies? Meditation? Activism? The President? Jesus? (not listed in any particular order)

And whose peace and prosperity am I concerned about? Mine? My neighbors'? My blood relatives'? My country's? Westerners'? Humanity's?

About the role of government, we read:

Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. (Romans 13:2-4)

So government has a role that God has instituted. Yet we do look forward to the ultimate fulfillment of this promise, understanding that in some mystical way the kingdom of God is now, is inside of us now:

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. (Isaiah 9:6-7)

And the rub, the point of this chapter, is when they're opposed. Then we read:

Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men!" (Acts 5:29)

Nazi soldiers should have disobeyed their unjust commands. All soldiers must disobey unjust commands. As citizens of heaven before citizens of a given country on earth, we must disobey laws and commands that contradict the laws of our true kingdom. No one can stand in the judgment and say, "But I was following orders." The response will be, "You weren't following MY orders. You belong to the king you claim, not Me." Am I committed to obeying God? How much time am I spending in the Bible each day to learn what it is He's calling me to?

Let me take this opportunity to shout out Centurion's Purse.

(b) "A people longing for a savior placed their faith in the fragile hand of human logic and military strength, which have always let us down. They have always fallen short of the glory of God" (p 199).

This takes me back to high school when I listened to a certain heavy metal band (You take a mortal man and put him in control...). Though Megadeth probably also falls short of the glory of God. This quote also makes me think of War Made Easy.

(c) "Jesus offers a new vision of family" (p 200).

If my mother, father or sister were starving, I'd find a way to help them. I wouldn't stop until their needs were met. If it was only about money, I sure wouldn't buy a nicer ride while they were suffering. But then I realize I lie, because they are.

Do I care as much for each citizen who dies in Iraq (30,000, 50,000, 90,000, 151,000, 655,000???) as I do for those who died in the towers on September 11, 2001 (2,974)?

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
(Matthew 6:9-10)

blog comments powered by Disqus