Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 6b (p 169-180)

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 6b (p 169-180)
Economics of Rebirth

(a) “…God did not mess up and make too many people and not enough stuff. Poverty was created not by God but by you and me, because we have not learned to love our neighbors as ourselves” (p 169-170).

Am I willing to take some responsibility for the poverty in the world, or do I just blame corrupt business men, politicians and the systems they create? Could it be that my apathy has been one cause? Could my voting, spending and eating habits be perpetuating and intensifying poverty for some people in some places? How long am I willing to sit still and contemplate the ramifications for my decisions and lifestyle before I start justifying and excusing and explaining?

(b) “The Jubilee… aimed to dismantle structures of social-economic inequality by releasing each community member from debt…, returning encumbered or forfeited land to its original owners…, and freeing slaves…” (p 171).

Who could use a Jubilee from their credit cards? We had always kept our cards paid off until I got hurt two years ago. It’s amazing how fast things can change. "But if people could get out of debt like that, how could industrialists get rich?" Yes, good question. Maybe God has other priorities.

(c) “It is miraculous how the abundance of God and the gifts of the children of God are able to provide mystically for people’s needs” (p 179).

When have others provided for you? How have you shared your abundance with others recently?

One of the biggest gifts I’ve received from a community member was a home. An elderly lady had to leave her home and enter an assisted living center. Her daughter allowed us to live in the vacant home with very low rent for a year while she prepared to sell the house. I’m sure I’ll never be able to repay them for the gift that meant so much while we were in the middle of a rough stretch.

blog comments powered by Disqus