Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 3 (p 69-89)

The Irresistible Revolution, Ch. 3 (p 69-89)
In Search of a Christian

(1) “I wondered what it would look like if we decided to really follow Jesus” (p 71). Pretty basic. Pretty revolutionary. See number 2.

(2) “The matter is quite simple. The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly” (Soren Kierkegaard, p 71). I do this.

"Love your enemies." "Sell what you have and give to the poor." "Store up treasure in heaven, not earth." "Forgive 490 times." But it’s all metaphorical, so that’s cool. What’s on TV tonight?

Michael Franti has a great line about “all the freaky people make the beauty of the world” (Stay Human). People like Shane and Andy (p 76) are pretty “freaky,” and talk about some serious beauty. My pride (ego, selfishness, whatever you call it) is so strong. Living the revolution isn’t something you all should do; it’s something I need to live. I want to make beauty of the world, and I want to load up on organic, fair trade Patagonia gear.

To my friends who are on this journey outside of cyberspace: it’s great partnering together as “ordinary radicals just trying to figure out how to love better” (p 76). It’s simple—compassion, forgiveness, generosity, empathy, courage, creativity. It’s only complicated when I’m looking out for me instead of you.

(3) Mother Teresa (p 78): “We are called not to be successful but to be faithful.” “We can do no great things, just small things with great love. It is not how much you do, but how much love you put into doing it.” No discussion questions; just let those sink in.

(4) “We are the body of Christ, not in some figurative sense, but we are the flesh and blood of Jesus alive in the world through the Holy Spirit—God’s hands, feet, ears” (p 79). What is Jesus doing through the hands, feet and ears of your faith community? What’s your story?

(5) “Calcuttas are everywhere if only we have eyes to see. Find your Calcutta” (Mother Teresa, p 89). Where is my Calcutta? Where can I serve those in need? Who needs me today? What do I have to give today? Who needs me to listen today? Who needs my bubbles and sidewalk chalk today?

Check out Shane telling these and other stories at Mars Hill in a talk called Finding Your Calcutta.

blog comments powered by Disqus